2/12/2014

RIP Maggie Estep, 1963 - 2014


I met Maggie Estep during the SF Poetry Slam in 1994. She was part of the New York team that included Reggie Cabico, Hal Sirowitz, and Tracey Morris. I soon met Bob Holman and a group of NYC poets, including people who were involved with Nuyorican Poets Cafe, The Unbearables, and the magazine, Sensitive Skin.

When I moved to NYC, I used to see Maggie Estep quite often at readings and parties. I saw
 her play in a band at Mercury Lounge. She wrote a number of books.


She worked briefly as a go-go dancer, joined the punk scene and became addicted to heroin. She took up fiction writing at a drug rehabilitation clinic in the mid-1980s.
In 1986 she attended a class taught by William S. Burroughs at the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at Naropa University in Boulder, Colo. She studied there for two years and eventually received a bachelor’s degree in literature from the State University of New York.


0 comments:

AddToAny