8/12/2026

THE BLACK WATCH announce 27th album with single (not) about tennis player "Marie Bouzkova"

the black watch
Announce Single (Not) About Tennis Player
"Marie Bouzkova"

 

Taken from 27th Album
The Fuzzy End of the Lollipop

Out October 2nd

AUGUST 12, 2026 [Los Angeles, CA] — "I've declared that The Fuzzy End of the Lollipop is really the end of the black watch, but I've been wrong before," laughs vocalist, guitarist and songwriter John Andrew Fredrick of Los Angeles-based indie rock band stalwarts the black watch. With this their 27th album, one might be inclined to think that all has been said by the band, but for Fredrick who holds a Ph.D. in English, you’d be wrong. “I'm fascinated by the idea of completion, of endings, but being a mad reader of fiction and poetry, literary criticism and biographies of novelists stimulates me so much. It's all too much, you know. I am so inspired by The Beatles. There is so much there to plunder.”

Armed with a weighty pen and working alongside producer/engineer Rob Campanella, formerly of The Brian Jonestown Massacre (who also plays bass live), and master producer Scott Campbell (Stevie Nicks, Shelby Lynne, Acetone) who's been with the band, on and off, since 1991 and Andy Creighton who joined up in 2017 on guitar, Fredrick has created a sort of approachable pièce de resistance. The Fuzzy End of the Lollipop (release date: October 2, 2026 via ATOM Records) is easily accessible yet stately in its stature.

Its first single “Marie Bouzkova” is testament to that. While named after the acclaimed Czech tennis player, the song’s subject matter is about something more basic and fundamental. “Marie is very sweet and kind in person, but the song is really about anyone who is lovely and charming and beautiful to everyone--my favourite sort of person, in other words,” he explains. “Modesty, humility--these things seem to be more and more rare nowadays. Not saying I'm modest or humble, mind you, but I admire both greatly and am trying!”

Set upon a twinkling bed of jangly, shoegazey guitars, “Marie Bouzkova” is a stunning album opener and the perfect entry point for the black watch’s style of indie rock. Remnants of post-punk and janglepop intermingle with a solid melody that grasps hold tightly and never lets go. 

The seemingly tangential tennis reference point isn’t incidental. A fiercely competitive tennis amateur player himself, Fredrick knows his sport. “I play at Echo Park Tennis Club, surely the least exclusive club in the world,” he says. “$40 a year to join and we take everyone, no matter the level.” An athletic and social construct, members play against each other regardless of skill level and drink beer together. A tennis instructor as well, he teaches the sport to children. “I teach tennis for kids now. Some are utter brats, though…. really horrid kids, but some are hilarious,” he laughs. “Kinda like my theory that only the best and the worst people play adult tennis. Which one do you fancy I am?!!”

No comments:

Angine de Poitrine Kicks Off Sold-Out First-Ever U.S. Tour Tonight

ANGINE DE POITRINE ARRIVE IN THE UNITED STATES FOR FIRST-EVER TOUR   HUGELY ANTICIPATED LIVE RUN BEGINS TONIGHT WITH TWO-NIGHT STAND AT DENV...