8/19/2026

Nicole Atkins Shares Soaring New Pop Classic; New Album Out Sept 18th

NICOLE ATKINS SHARES SOARING NEW SONG, “TRIPPIN’ ON TEARDROPS” - LISTEN

 

OPENING TRACK TO EAGERLY AWAITED NEW ALBUM

JOINED BY OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO FILMED ON LOCATION

IN HISTORIC NEW JERSEY MANSION – WATCH

 

US HEADLINE TOUR BEGINS OCTOBER 9 IN COLUMBUS, OH

 

DRAMA ARRIVES VIA SUN RECORDS/WICKED GAME RECORDS

ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18

 

PRE-ORDERS/PRE-SAVES AVAILABLE NOW

Photo Credit: Barbara FG 

“Nicole Atkins has a sound that's rooted in classic pop music,

but it never sounds like pastiche because she brings so much charisma and vitality to it.

She knows how to write and deliver a hook, too.”

 – STEREOGUM


“Drama is a heady cinematic swirl…Atkins is clearly a woman not to be trifled with.”

– MOJO (★★★★)


“One of the few singers of her generation for whom the term ‘chanteuse’ accurately applies… A mini-symphony, a widescreen ballad, a melodramatic Chris Isaak duet….

A world that’s securely rooted in pop tradition and intensely personal.”

– UNCUT

 

Nicole Atkins has shared the official music video for her latest single, “Trippin’ on Teardrops,” streaming now on YouTube following its exclusive premiere earlier today via FLOOD. Filmed on location in a historic turn-of-the-century mansion in her home state of New Jersey, “Trippin’ on Teardrops” marks the opening track on Atkins’ eagerly awaited new album, Drama, arriving via Sun Records/Wicked Game Records on Friday, September 18. Pre-orders/pre-saves are available now.


“After wrestling with what this song wanted to be for a while, I had the chorus. Like an SOS,” Atkins tells FLOOD. “Then my good old pal Peter Morén from Peter Bjorn and John was visiting Nashville, and we were writing, and I showed him this chorus, which he loved, and I just put down the verse words which I thought I’d replace because I was almost embarrassed at how pitiful they sounded, but that was just the state of my life at that time. Lonely and dreaming and wishing things were different. The person I was missing most was myself, but sometimes it just takes a good friend to shine a light to get ya through it.”


Atkins continues, “I wrote ‘Trippin’ on Teardrops’ during a long period of time where I was having all these insane sleep issues. “Never being able to fall asleep and then waking up sometimes after two days of sleep. It was like a nightmare that I couldn’t wake up from. Burnout? Maybe. Depression? Mostly because of sleep issues. And it was at a time where it seemed like the world was business as usual and I was watching it all go by in my dreams.


“When it came time to make the video, Caleb Herring, Sun Records cameraman extraordinaire, flew up to the Jersey shore while I was visiting family. We had two days to figure something out, and my high school friend came through with this estate he was taking care of that was now owned by the NJ Parks system. It was from the early 1900s and had a bajillion stunning rooms, bathing tunnels, grounds, etc. it also had all these fishing trophies that were left there, so an idea came quickly… A glamorous woman wakes up in her gorgeous estate, and as you follow her day, you see her seemingly perfect life is not all it’s cracked up to be when your only company is the dead and shellacked fishes on the walls.”


LISTEN TO “TRIPPIN’ ON TEARDROPS”

WATCH “TRIPPIN’ ON TEARDROPS” OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO


PRE-ORDER/PRE-SAVE DRAMA


Atkins’ seventh studio album and first all-new full-length release in over six years, Drama also includes such standouts as the anthemic “Singing In The Mirror” and the acclaimed first single, “When the Night Falls,” the latter hailed by Stereogum as “a shimmering, slow-building piece of old-school pop excellence” and joined by an official music video streaming now on YouTube.

 

LISTEN TO “SINGING IN THE MIRROR”


LISTEN TO “WHEN THE NIGHT FALLS”

WATCH “WHEN THE NIGHT FALLS” OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO


 # # #


Largely recorded live over four productive days in her current home base of Nashville, TN, with GRAMMY® Award-nominated musician/producer Pat Sansone (Wilco, The Autumn Defense, Robyn Hitchcock), Drama sees Atkins exploring the isolation, separation, and loneliness of a long-distance marriage through her signature fusion of musical genres and intimate lyrical songcraft. The album came together at the behest of her close friend and touring partner Chris Isaak, who signed her to Sun Records as part of his strategic alliance with the historic label as both artist and curator of new projects with his new imprint, Wicked Game Records. Drama spans style and era with smart design and an irrepressible buoyancy, from the girl group rush of “Trippin' On Teardrops” and Memphis soul-styled “For No One” to the James Bond-meets-Stevie Nicks noir of “Danny” and the wonderfully moody duet with Isaak, “Cue The Symphony.”


“I’ve been in love with Nicole’s songs for many years and have always followed her career,” says Chris Isaak. “She and I are so simpatico when it comes to the music that inspires us, and she has a unique way of distilling that into her songwriting. She’s a true craftsman and an incredible singer. When it came time to start the label, she was my first thought. I’m so honored that she’s the label’s first signing, and I love ‘Drama!’”


Accompanied by her touring band, guitarist John Paul Keith and drummer Danny Banks, with contributions by Sansone, in-demand drummer Eric Slick (Dr. Dog, Robyn Hitchcock, Brian Fallon), The Texas Gentlemen’s Dan Creamer, and Scottish troubadour Davey Horne, Atkins once again showcases her alchemical ability to transform myriad influences into singular sonic statements, leaning into the deeply personal in her ongoing quest to “write modern songs that could be part of the Great American Songbook.” Through it all, Atkins’s vivid, unabashedly dramatic voice flies far above easy comparison. Neo-classicist, retro-futurist, and transcendental medium – Drama makes it plain that Nicole Atkins somehow remains all of those things while always wholeheartedly following her own muse.

 

“I'm not trying to rehash or celebrate some bygone era,” Nicole Atkins says. “I'm just taking what I like melodically from the past and channeling it into my songs. I like to make them deeply personal. The question I come back to is – how do I make this sound exactly like me?”

 

Atkins will celebrate the arrival of Drama with a wide-ranging tour schedule, including a top-billed performance as part of Bethlehem, PA’s annual Musikfest, set for Air Products Americaplatz at Levitt Pavilion SteelStacks on Sunday, August 2. Her Fall tour begins October 9 at Columbus, OH’s Rumba Cafe and continues through to Skinny Dennis in Nashville, TN on December 3. For updates, please visit www.nicoleatkins.com/tour

 

# # #


NICOLE ATKINS – DRAMA 2026 TOUR

 

OCTOBER

9 - Columbus, OH – Rumba Cafe

10 – Louisville, KY – The Whirling Tiger

11 – Indianapolis, IN – HI-FI

 

NOVEMBER

13 – Columbia, MO – Rose Music Hall

14 – Kansas City, MO – recordBar

15 – Omaha, NE – Reverb Lounge

17 – St. Paul, MN – Turf Club

18 – Milwaukee, WI – Vivarium

20 – Grand Rapids, MI – The Pyramid Scheme

21 – Ann Arbor, MI – The Blind Pig

22 – Cleveland, OH – Beachland Ballroom & Tavern

24 – Albany NY – Lark Hall

25 – Hamden, CT – Space Ballroom

27 – Asbury Park, NJ – Wonder Bar

28 – Annapolis, MD – Rams Head On Stage

29 – Richmond, VA – Richmond Music Hall

 

DECEMBER

1 – Charlotte, NC – Snug Harbor

2 – Asheville, NC – Revival Asheville

3 – Nashville, TN – Skinny Dennis

 

# # #

No comments:

beabadoobee Releases New Single "Memories" Today

beabadoobee New Song “Memories” Out Now   New Album Pylon Out September 18 on Dirty Hit/Interscope Records   North America, UK & Europe...