Winnipeg indie rock heavyweights Living Hour are back with their fourth full-length album, Internal Drone Infinity, out October 17 via Keeled Scales and Paper Bag Records. Known for their lush fusion of dream-pop and shoegaze, the band continues to evolve, merging folk-inflected slowcore, fuzzy indie-pop, and hazy noise-rock into a sound that’s both expansive and emotionally piercing.
The five-piece—Sam Sarty (vocals, multi-instrumentalist), Gil Carroll (guitar), Adam Soloway (guitar, vocals), Brett Ticzon (bass, keys), and Isaac Tate (drums)—have built a striking sonic atmosphere on Internal Drone Infinity full of icy, melodic vocals, grainy textures, twangy warmth, screeching distortion, and immersive percussion. Recorded with Melina Duterte (Jay Som), who also worked with the band on 2022’s Someday Is Today and collaborated on the standout track “Feelings Meeting,” the album came to life during the stark, isolating cold of a Winnipeg November. Duterte flew in the day after performing on Saturday Night Live with Boygenius, and the energy of that whirlwind transition seeps into the record’s intimate-yet-vast emotional core.
Drawing inspiration from Yo La Tengo, Magnolia Electric Co., The Weakerthans, Feeble Little Horse, Yuck, and DIIV, the album explores the cyclical process of observation, documentation, and projection. Drums on two tracks, “Wheel” and “Texting,” were recorded by Jason Tait (The Weakerthans) at his Winnipeg home studio.
To accompany the album announcement, Living Hour share the lead single “Wheel”—an angsty, fuzzy, and melodic track about betrayal, danger, and reclaiming power.
Lead vocalist, Sarty explains, "The story of Wheel begins with buying a car off Facebook Marketplace in BC. Turns out the car was junk, but I had no choice but to drive it home to Winnipeg. It took 3 days. I was driving through the mountains, and the headlights were so dim, and for a stretch there was nowhere to turn off. It felt like a weird, horrific video game–navigating the road and dodging danger and trying not to die. I also felt so deeply betrayed by all the men involved in the whole thing.
These men feel like a series of characters now. I felt so powerless in this weird system that prioritizes men and their opinions. In this song, I was able to imagine an alternate reality where I’m a vengeful spectator in these men's lives. What if I had died on the road, and what if I came back and plagued them all with my powerful essence that they so easily dismissed, contorted and took advantage of in order to sell me a fucked up car?
I fantasized about how it would feel to “fall off the wheel” and lean into this witchy, monstered realm of existence where men are de-centered. One where I would have no hesitation to put those men in the same danger they put me in."
With Internal Drone Infinity, Living Hour offer a raw, commanding expansion of their dreamy sound—a bold step into new territory that gives voice to the quiet strength and simmering rage of the overlooked. "Wheel" is out July 16th via Keeled Scales, Paper Bag Records & Beloved Records. |
No comments:
Post a Comment