7/25/2024

Glasser announces 'crux deluxe' with new single 'Om'

Glasser
 
Album ‘crux deluxe’ out September 27th via One Little Independent Records
 
Single ‘Om’ out now  
 
Smartlink
Spotify
 

 

“High-wire vocal exercises, supported by skittering electronics and nods at folk” – The Guardian
 
“Ethereal, weird, funny, and mesmerizing” – Variety
 
“Somber strings with bewitching beats” – NPR
 
Glasser, the elevated electronic project from Cameron Mesirow, has announced the expanded version of her third album ‘crux’. ‘crux deluxe’ includes seven previously unheard tracks and is released by One Little Independent Records on September 27th.
 
Glasser uses entrancing and dreamy experimental pop to explore themes of personal identity, emotional vulnerability, and the human experience. New single ‘Om’ is about letting someone go, and loving them from afar.
 
“Om is a track that I wrote when I was bursting with new songs after the death of my friend Noah”, she says. A subject matter examined closely on the original album. Glasser has previously stated that; “my first love from back home died suddenly and I watched his burial on Zoom. He showed me so many first things in life, and he was the first close person to me to die, that I felt so mentally, physically, and emotionally connected to.”
 
‘crux deluxe’ collects exclusive material written alongside the sessions for ‘crux’ as well as complete pieces that had been gestating prior to the album’s release. It also features a slower, early version of her single ‘Drift’, which highlights a darker side to the composition, Glasser says; “I made like 40 versions of that song. And I still can't listen to it. It's been my obsession for the last, I don't even know how long. That lyric is just something that came out of me like “What a good life / Except for all those times / When you want to die” It was kind of meant to be a joke but sounds quite serious in the context of the entire record. But also, like, jokes are serious sometimes too. It's good to joke about serious things, for me at least. I made so many versions. And I really wanted the final version to have sort of a dance vibe to it because dancing about death is better than weeping. They're both good, but I wanted to dance about that.”
 
‘crux’ was released last October, receiving acclaim from the likes of Pitchfork, The Guardian, Crack, Wonderland, The Line Of Best Fit, Variety, NPR, Clash Magazine and more. The album mapped journeys of cathartic self-discovery, specifically her meditations on the fragility of life and the delicacy of relationships in times of uncertainty. ‘crux’ is about the importance of creativity and writing while healing, and on an individual level, looking inward and the examination of one’s grief, anxiety, and insecurities.
 
Apart from her majestic 2022 single ‘New Scars’, ‘crux’ marked a return following her sublime ‘Sextape’ mix in 2018 and two critically acclaimed albums, ‘Ring’ and ‘Interiors’, released in 2010 and 2013 respectively. In this time Glasser performed at MoMA, PS1, The Walker Arts Center, MOCA, Coachella, Primavera, Latitude, Field Day, and she toured with the XX and Sigur Rós' Jónsi. She’s also collaborated on remix projects with the likes of Fever Ray, Jamie XX and John Talabot.
 
Glasser explains; “Just getting back to making songs was hard for me after the last album. When I made my first album, I didn’t have an established routine of trying and failing, it was very immediate. The second record was made after a few years of touring, which is a very unstable life, and I still didn’t establish a relationship to creating things regularly. After its release, I didn’t have a centre from which to recompose myself.”
 
The thing that finally brought me back to music as a positive experience was that I began taking lessons to learn Balkan singing. I wanted to try to learn all this vocal gymnastic stuff that I was listening to in the Bulgarian state television choir records. I started writing songs and working toward an album.”
 
Born in Boston, raised in the Bay Area by musician parents, Mesirow’s mother was a founding member of Human Sexual Response, a queer new wave band who performed in the late 70’s into the early 80’s. Glasser crafted GarageBand demos that pitted her delicate, swooping vocals over sparse electronic rhythms and circular melodies that evoked avant-garde music and global folk at the same time. These tracks made their way to labels True Panther and Young Turks, which released both her albums. She self-released ‘Sextape’, an intimate project that built her production around conversations on formative sexual experiences, which was praised by fans and critics alike, before signing to One Little Independent Records, marking her next creative step.
 
Track list
 
  1. A Guide 
  2. Vine
  3. Easy
  4. Knave
  5. Mass Love 
  6. Thick Waltz
  7. All Lovers
  8. Clipt
  9. Undrunk
  10. Drift
  11. Ophrys
  12. Choir Prayer
 
  1. Om
  2. Animate
  3. Dying Light
  4. See Nothing
  5. Blush
  6. Defeat
  7. Drift Slow
 

No comments:

PULP @ The Hollywood Palladium // 9.18.24 // THE PORTABLE INFINITE

All photos taken by Martin Worster