4/16/2021

LAURA MVULA SHARES VIDEO FOR "CHURCH GIRL"

Image

SHARES VIDEO FOR ‘CHURCH GIRL’

WATCH HERE

Image

 NEW ALBUM ‘PINK NOISE’ OUT JULY 2ND

PRE-ORDER HERE
 

“A glorious immersion in 80s pop" - The Guardian 

“She’s back, with her dancing shoes on” - The Sunday Times Culture

“We honestly didn't deserve Laura Mvula - talented, frank, and wise…” - CLASH 

“Loud, ambitious and uplifting” - The Independent 

“Buoyant, dreamlike...lush swathes of synths and drums that leap like shooting stars”  -gal-dem 

“When it comes to music, I want to be able to be all that I am without hiding, without fighting with myself.  We’re already in what feels like some kind of global claustrophobia – we’re locked in and we need to come out and we need to break out. That’s what this music is to me and I just want to share it. I want people to feel free.” - Laura Mvula 2021

Laura Mvula has shared the stunning visuals for her latest single ‘Church Girl’ today, taken from her highly anticipated new album ‘Pink Noise’, due for release on July 2nd via Atlantic Records. Watch here (INSERT LINK) and pre-order the album here

The vibrant video for ‘Church Girl’ is steeped in a beautiful retro futuristic aesthetic that Laura is heralding for this new era. Devil-horn clad dancers sensually follow her every move - echoing the refrain ‘How can you dance with the devil on your back?’.

Speaking about ‘Church Girl’ Laura said “I am not my story. For so long I identified as the things that happen in my life, the things I do, good or bad. I’m letting go of this mind-made ‘me’. I’m coming home to myself beyond the realm of form. I am not the thoughts in my head, or the things I achieve, or the shape of my haircut. I no longer ‘dance with the devil’ on my back. I’m basking in the light of knowing my true self, the deeper ‘I’.”

‘Church Girl’ is taken from Laura’s forthcoming highly anticipated third album ‘Pink Noise’, which explores a side of Laura previously uncharted. With appearances already on Later With Jools Holland and The Graham Norton Show, alongside esteemed praise, the new album  is showing that Laura is well and truly back and triumphant as ever.

‘Pink Noise’ is a battle cry and stark reminder of the sheer talent of the critically acclaimed artist - this is Laura in a new found light, still reflecting her distinctive signature sound whilst showing the progression of an artist who has come into her own.

“This is the album I always wanted to make. Every corner is made warm with sunset tones of the 80s. I was born in 1986. I came out of the womb wearing shoulder pads. I absorbed the dynamism of the 80s aesthetic right from my first moments on this planet. Wrestling with identity seems to be one of the rites of passage of the established artist. Making ‘Pink Noise’ felt like the most violent of emotional wrestling matches. It took 3 years of waiting and waiting and fighting and dying and nothingness and then finally an explosion of sound. As if it was always here this record is my most honest and unapologetic flying of the freedom flag. In my adult years I had forgotten how important dance was to me as a vital tool of my creative expression. I brought it back, just for me, so I could find my delight in dance again. And now I can’t stop dancing. I can’t wait to play this album live.”

Contrasting confessional lyricism with compelling and infectious synth pop, ‘Pink Noise’ feels completely and uniquely Laura.  Her artistic prowess knows no limits - take the neo-soul meets art pop of ‘Remedy’ for example, or the darker, pulsating ‘Conditional’ that injects bombastic funk into indietronica. She feels rejuvenated too, especially on electro pop stunners ‘Magical’ and ‘Before The Dawn’. This is Laura Mvula at her most ambitious to date, leaving no stone left unturned in this cosmic new realm.

As one of the most exciting musical talents to come out of the UK, Laura has previously won an Ivor Novello Award for Best Album, has been nominated for the Mercury Prize (not once but twice), BBC Sound Poll, the BRITs Critics Choice Award, two BRIT Awards in 2014 (British Female Solo Artist and British Breakthrough Act) and won an incredible two MOBO’s in 2013 (Best Female and Best R&B/Soul).

Having caught the attention of her musical hero Prince while performing for the first of two times on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury, Laura has gone on to travel the world, selling out shows and captivating crowds at every destination. Crowned “Queen of the Prom” and given a five star review from the Evening Standard for her Proms 2014 Late Night performance at the Royal Albert Hall, Laura’s critically acclaimed career has led her to work with real-life inspirations Nile Rodgers and touring with David Byrne.

Pink Noise tracklisting:

  1. Safe Passage
  2. Conditional
  3. Church Girl
  4. Remedy
  5. Magical
  6. Pink Noise
  7. Golden Ashes
  8. What Matters
  9. Got Me
  10. Before The Dawn

LAURA MVULA ON SOCIAL MEDIA

INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

0 comments:

AddToAny