12/20/2016

Nashville Musician Jessi Zazu (Those Darlins) Announces New Project and Medical Bill Fundraising Effort

Nashville Musician Jessi Zazu Announces New Project And Medical Bill Fundraising Effort

The Former Lead Singer Of Those Darlins Has Recently Been Diagnosed With Metastatic Cancer
photo by Jeanette D. Moses for Paste Magazine

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Former lead singer of local band Those Darlins Jessi Zazu has been facing serious health issues since she was diagnosed with cancer seven months ago. This October, she learned that her cancer had metastasized, and her fight against the disease will last longer than originally anticipated. To help cover the cost of living expenses and bills, she has launched a fundraising website at https://www.youcaring.com/jessizazu-718972.

Despite her diagnosis, Zazu has been working on art and music projects, including a new album. Please find her official statement here:

As most of you know, Those Darlins decided to call it quits as a band in early 2016. We all mutually felt it was time to take a step back and pursue other projects, and it has been a really good decision for all of us. My plan was to continue on exploring my own musical path with my bandmate Linwood Regensburg, and we had a baby project in the oven even as we were finishing up our final blow-out tour with Those Darlins (which was a blast!).

Although I was in poor health during the span of that tour, I never would have guessed that a week after I arrived back to my home in Nashville, Tennessee I would be hospitalized and diagnosed with stage 2 cervical cancer. It came as a big shock, and my plans for making music and forging ahead in my art career suddenly took a back seat. I decided to keep the news relatively private, because I was hoping I could complete the treatment, beat the cancer, and move on from a temporary road block.

Unfortunately, this November, I found out that the cancer had already metastasized and spread through my lymphatic system, probably before I was first diagnosed. This is typically what they would call a "no cure scenario", but I refuse to believe that to be the case. I feel healthy, happy, hopeful, determined, positive, and full of sparks and nails. In a sense: there's a tumor growing on my body, I don't know what lays in store, but I ain't afraid anymore. Yes, I guess I am a mystic mind after all.

photo by Linwood Regensburg

In these next few months I plan to continue recording with Linwood and looking forward to a musical future with the world. I also am working on a visual art show about my experiences this year.

Zazu elaborates further on her experience and new project in this video.

(Those who want to send Jessi notes, CDs or art to wish her well should address all mail to Jessi Zazu, P.O. Box 92017, Nashville, TN 37209)

0 comments:

AddToAny